Sunday, September 12, 2004

American Bedding Conundrums

Can anyone explain to me why American bedding is so confusing? Why would anyone need so much material for sleep? There is the fitted sheet, the coversheet, the comforter, the sham, and somtimes, the mattress pad. Not to mention the half a dozen pillows one is supposed to cover the bed with. The sizing is also downright misleading, a single bed needs Twin size, but a double bed needs Full?

I called Mom, maybe she can have someone send me a set. There is bound to be a friend or two who's flying in after spending the summer in Bejing, trying to instill Chinese values in their recalcitrant ABC kids.

"Do you want a single or a double size?" She asked. Does this mean what I think it means?

"Single, of course." I replied.

I think she sighed. I did too, though not for the same reason.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

think of the pillows as nesting instict
the english/american language/customs/terminology comes from a mixture of other cultures and languages as tribes were conquered and assimilated... the result is often non-sequiter but i think with time things will kind of solidifty with the best of each....

Jaron
www.livejournal.com/~antibubbles/

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of your overdone bed and I think backache. I just moved from Queens to India to Chiang Mai, in north Thailand. And my back is gone. The softness of the mattress is giving me a permanent backache.

I long for the carpet I slept on in my aunt's crammed Queens apartment or the flat bed with a coir mattress at home or the cotton mattress (even though it smelled of the damp in the monsoon) in Bombay.

I pretend to practice yoga a times. I was just about to describe how, but find myself short of descriptive words. I think all books on yoga are a sham.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home