Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Epiphany

Mom said something to me the other day that made me realize what life is all about.

Life is not about pleasing oneself, rather, it's about not disappointing people who love you.

This is so different from what self-help books and magazines tell you -- living for one's own fulfillment, etc., but I feel so strongly about it. It's almost as if I'm now relieved of all the self-absorbed musings and ambitions that usually plague me.

Wow, is that a big guilt trip my mom laid on me or what?

1 Comments:

Blogger wyn said...

Not that it's totally clear-cut, but not disappoint those who love you (namely parents when you're single) is so much more an Asian thing. Western culture tends to place more emphasis on achieving the dreams that you determine to be most worthy of pursuing and going after them at all costs.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home